NO DONATION OR PAYMENT NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN
- Eligibility: Except where regulated or restricted by law, the Big History Project Video Contest (“Contest”) is open to legal residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia and Australia who are 13 years of age or older at the time of entry. Entrants under the age of majority (18 years of age in most jurisdictions) must have his/her parent’s or legal guardian’s permission to participate in the Contest. Employees, contractors, members, managers, and officers, and their immediate family members (parents, children, siblings or spouse, regardless of where they live, or persons living in same household, whether related or not) of the sponsor, Big History Project, LLC (“BHP” or “Sponsor”), its affiliates, suppliers, consultants, legal counsel, public relations, sales representatives, advertising and promotional, and marketing agencies, and any others engaged in the development or distribution of this Contest are not eligible to enter or win. Other eligibility requirements and conditions of participation are set forth below in these official rules for the Contest (“Official Rules”). All federal, state, municipal, and local laws and regulations apply. Sponsor reserves the right to verify all eligibility qualifications. Void where prohibited or restricted by law.
- Entry Period: The Contest begins with a 30-day entry period, which starts at 12:01 Pacific Daylight Time (“PDT”) on June 9, 2015 and ends at 11:59 PDT on July 8, 2015 (“Entry Period”). Entries must be received during the Entry Period in order to be eligible for the Contest.
- How to Enter: To enter, eligible participants must have a Youtube.com or other publicly accessible video upload site (“Upload Site”) account and create a short video submission to answer the following question: What does it mean to be human? (“Video”). After creating the Video, the participant must upload the Video to the participant’s Upload Site account. To complete the entry process, the participant must then access the Contest website, available at https://www.bighistoryproject.com/pages/contest (“Website”), complete the entry form which includes disclosure of the Video URL on the Upload Site, and then submit the completed entry form. Each eligible participant who creates a Video and completes the entry process on the Website (“Entrant”) will be entered in the Contest. Creating a Video and completing/submitting the entry form during the Entry Period constitutes entry (“Entry” or “Entries”) into the Contest and consent to and agreement with these Official Rules. An Entrant may be composed of a single person or a group of individuals who work together to create a Video. If the Entrant is a group of individuals, only the name of the group leader will be entered on the entry form and will be considered the Entrant for this Contest and eligible to win a Prize (defined below).
- Entry Conditions:
- Conditions of Video: Any Video that is deemed by the Sponsor, in its sole discretion, to be infringing, offensive, immoral, obscene, profane, defamatory, not keeping with the image of the Sponsor, or in violation of these Official Rules will be void. If a Video depicts a minor (under 18 years of age at the time of the Video), the minor’s parent or legal guardian must have consented to both the minor appearing in the Video and the Video being entered into the Contest. Further, all Videos that contain trademarks, copyright-protected or other proprietary materials for which the Entrant has not obtained appropriate assignment of rights, as well as any content that disparages or portrays others in a negative light, will be void. Furthermore, Sponsor is not responsible for inaccessible, lost, incomplete, stolen, damaged, garbled, corrupt, illegible, late, or unintelligible Entries, or for printing or other errors appearing in these rules or other Contest materials, misprints or errors in other Contest-related information, garbled communications, failures or malfunctions of Internet connections, phones, phonelines, telephone systems, technical or mechanical malfunctions, or other malfunctions, problems or errors, whether caused by equipment, programming used in this Contest, processing errors, Upload Site errors, human errors or otherwise. Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to void any Entries from Entrants whom Sponsor believes have attempted to tamper or have tampered with the administration, security, or fairness of this Contest. Entries submitted by automatic, programmed, or like methods will be disqualified.
By entering, each Entrant warrants and represents that (i) the Video is the original work of the Entrant and does not infringe the intellectual property, privacy, confidentiality or publicity rights or any other legal rights of any other party; (ii) the Entrant owns or otherwise controls all rights to the Video submitted by the Entrant; and (iii) the Video has not been entered into or won any previous contests or awards and has not been published or distributed previously in any form of media. By entering this Contest, each Entrant unconditionally and irrevocably grants a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sub-licensable license to Sponsor and its successors or assigns to use, reproduce, distribute, display, perform and create derivative works of the Video for any purpose now and hereafter as they so desire. Each Entrant further warrants and represents that any person or entity in the Video has agreed to be featured and for the Video to be posted on social media, and must also have agreed to the Video being entered in the Contest, and each Entrant further warrants and represents that applicable consents have been obtained. By submitting a Video, Entrant grants Sponsor the right to use, publish, adapt, edit and modify such Video in any way, in whole or in part, and to use such Video alone or in combination with other works, as solely determined by Sponsor, in commerce and trade and in any and all media now known or hereafter discovered, without limitation or compensation to the Entrant and without right of notice, review, or approval of any such use of the Video.
- Winner Selection: There will be three winners of the Contest (each a “Winner” and collectively, the “Winners”): a First Place Winner; a Second Place Winner; and a Third Place Winner. The Winners will be determined through judging process. The Sponsor will appoint judges (“Judges”) who are appropriately qualified to review and to judge the Videos in this Contest. The judging process will be as follows: within four days after the end of the Entry Period, a panel of Judges composed of internal representatives from the Sponsor will review all of the Videos and identify the top 25 Videos based upon the judging criteria described in these Official Rules (“Judging Criteria”) and in the exercise of their own judgment. On July 13, 2015, the top 25 Videos (“Semi-Finalists”) will be announced on the Website. The Sponsor will then appoint a panel of Judges composed of teachers and students to review the Semi-Finalists and to assign scores to each Semi-Finalist Video based upon the Judging Criteria. The Judges will review each of the Videos and score the Videos based the Video’s “AWESOMENESS,” which involves the following Judging Criteria allocated on equal percentages:
- (a) Relevance: the degree to
which the Video aligns with the Big History Project approach and integrates common themes of the course.
(b) Appeal: the overall “fun” factor and execution of the Video.
(c) Uniqueness: the creativity of interpreting the question and individuality demonstrated in the answer.
- Prize and Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”): The following prizes (each a “Prize” and collectively, the “Prizes”) will be awarded to the Winners of the Contest: (a) the First Place Winner will receive a contract with BHP to create three more videos plus $5,000, for a total ARV of $15,000 for the First Place Prize; and (b) the Second Place Winner and the Third Place Winner will each receive $1,000. The total ARV for the Contest Prizes is $17,000.
- Odds of Winning: The odds of winning a Prize in the Contest depend upon the number of eligible Entries received during the Entry Period and the quality of the Entry. There is no element of chance in the determination of a Winner. Each eligible Video will be judged on its individual merits.
- Winner Notification: The Winners will be contacted by the Sponsor within three days after the Winners are announced on July 23, 2015. The Winners will be notified by email or telephone using their contact information provided at the time of entry into this Contest. In the event that a Winner cannot be contacted, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion, or a Winner rejects a Prize, the Prize may be forfeited and an alternate Winner may be selected. The Winners may be required to sign and return an affidavit of eligibility, release of liability, content license, parental/guardian consent (if necessary) and, where lawful, a publicity consent agreement (“Release”), within 15 days of acknowledged notification. At the sole discretion of the Sponsor, disqualification, forfeiture and the selection of an alternate winner may result from any of the following: (a) potential Winner’s failure to timely respond to notification; (b) the return of the notification as undeliverable; (c) potential Winner’s failure to timely execute and return a Release, if required; (d) potential Winner’s failure to validly and timely claim the Prize; or (e) any other non-compliance with the Official Rules. In the event of Prize forfeiture, the Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, award or not award the forfeited Prize to an alternate winner.
- Prize Delivery and Conditions: Sponsor will coordinate delivery of the Prizes with the Winners within 30 days after Sponsor verifies each Winner’s eligibility to enter and to win this Contest. Each Winner is responsible for any and all applicable federal, state and local taxes incurred by winning the Prize. To the extent required by law, Sponsor will provide a Winner with an IRS Form 1099 for the value of the applicable prize. The Prizes are non-transferable, non-exchangeable, and non-refundable, and must be accepted by the Winner as awarded. All costs associated with acceptance or use of the Prize, are the sole responsibility of the Winner. The Prize does not include any incidental costs associated with using the Prize, including but not limited to any travel requirements. The Winner may waive his/her right to receive a Prize. A Prize may not be upgraded, and no substitutions by the Winner will be allowed, except that Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to substitute a Prize for one of equal or greater value if the designated Prize should be unavailable for any reason.
- Conditions and Disclaimers: By entering the Contest, each Entrant agrees that: (a) he or she will abide by and be bound by these Official Rules; (b) neither Sponsor or any of its affiliated companies or the advertising and promotional agencies affiliated with Sponsor or those affiliated companies, nor any Upload Site, nor any of their officers, directors, employees, agents or representatives (collectively, Sponsor’s “Affiliates”) are responsible for claims, injuries, death, losses or damages of any kind resulting from participation or inability to participate in the Contest, or the awarding, acceptance, use, misuse, possession, loss or misdirection of the Prize; (c) Sponsor is not responsible for any inability of a Winner to accept the Prize for any reason; and (d) by entering the Contest, all Entrants further agree that Sponsor has the sole right to decide all matters relating to the Contest, including fact, interpretation, eligibility, procedure, fulfillment, and disputes from the Contest. Neither Sponsor nor its Affiliates are responsible for (i) any typographical or other errors in the printing of the promotion materials or the offering or announcement of the Prizes, (ii) any error, omission, interruption, defect or delay in operation or transmission at any website, (iii) failure of any Entry to be received by Sponsor due to technical problems, human error or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website, (iv) communications line, hardware and/or software failures, or (v) damage to any computer (software or hardware) resulting from participation in the Contest.
In the event a question arises regarding a Winner’s identity, the Entry will be deemed made by the holder of the email account associated with the Entry. Entries are void if unreadable, inaccurate, incomplete, tampered with, mechanically reproduced, misdirected, late, irregular in any way, or otherwise not in compliance with these Official Rules. Although Sponsor attempts to ensure the integrity of the Contest, neither Sponsor nor its Affiliates are responsible for the actions of Entrants or other individuals in connection with the Contest, including attempts by Entrants or other individuals to circumvent these Official Rules or otherwise interfere with the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Contest. If, for any reason, the Contest is not capable of running as planned by reason of damage by computer virus, worms, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical limitations or failures, strikes, industry conditions, bankruptcy or liquidation, marketplace demands, applicable law, unforeseen obstacles, or any other causes which, in the sole opinion of Sponsor, could corrupt, compromise, undermine, or otherwise affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, viability, or proper conduct of the Contest, Sponsor reserves the right in its sole and absolute discretion to modify these Official Rules and to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend all or any part of the Contest, and in the event of cancellation or termination, to select Winners from among all eligible non-suspect Entries received up to the time of such cancellation, termination, modification, or suspension, as applicable. If the Contest is terminated by Sponsor as set forth above, Sponsor will post notice of such termination on the Website. Inclusion in such drawing will be each Entrant’s sole and exclusive remedy under such circumstances. Proof of submitting an Entry will not be deemed receipt of such Entry by Sponsor.
- LIMITATIONS ON LIABILITY: Neither Sponsor nor its Affiliates shall be liable to the Winner or any other person for failure to supply the Prize or any part thereof, by reason of any acts of God, any action(s), regulation(s), order(s) or request(s) by any governmental or quasi-governmental entity (whether or not the action(s), regulation(s), order(s) or request(s) prove(s) to be invalid), terrorist acts, earthquake, war, fire, flood, explosion, unusually severe weather, hurricane, embargo, labor dispute or strike (whether legal or illegal), transportation interruption of any kind, work slow-down, civil disturbance, insurrection, riot, or any other cause beyond Sponsor’s or its Affiliates’ sole control.
- Release and Indemnification: TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, BY ENTERING THE CONTEST, ENTRANTS RELEASE AND HOLD THE SPONSOR AND ITS AFFILIATES HARMLESS FROM AND AGAINST ANY AND ALL LOSSES, DAMAGES, RIGHTS, CLAIMS, AND ACTIONS OF ANY KIND ARISING IN WHOLE OR IN PART, DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, FROM THE CONTEST OR PARTICIPATION IN ANY CONTEST-RELATED ACTIVITY, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, ACCESS TO ANY MATERIALS, OR RESULTING DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY FROM THE PRODUCTION OR SUBMISSION OF A VIDEO INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY TRAVEL OR OTHER ACTIVITIES RELATED TO THE ENTRANT’S PRODUCTION OR SUBMISSION OF A VIDEO FOR THE CONTEST, OR FROM ACCEPTANCE, POSSESSION, USE OR MISUSE OF ANY PRIZE AWARDED IN CONNECTION WITH THE CONTEST, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, PERSONAL INJURY, DEATH, AND/OR PROPERTY DAMAGE, AS WELL AS CLAIMS BASED ON PUBLICITY RIGHTS, DEFAMATION, AND/OR INVASION OF PRIVACY.
Each Entrant agrees to defend, indemnify and hold harmless the Sponsor and its Affiliates from any and all claims, liabilities, damages, expenses and costs (including legal fees) brought or asserted by or on behalf of any third party against the Sponsor or its Affiliates arising from or related to the Entrant’s Video infringing or allegedly infringing a third party’s intellectual property rights, publicity, privacy or confidentiality rights, or defaming or otherwise causing harm to a third party.
(b) Publicity Release: Except where prohibited, by accepting a Prize, a Winner grants permission for Sponsor and its agents to use the Winner’s name for advertising, merchandising, promotion and publicity purposes in any and all media now known or hereinafter invented without territorial or time limitations and without additional compensation.
(c) Applicable Law: The Contest, and any disputes that may arise hereunder, shall be governed in all respects by the laws of the state of Washington without regard to the conflicts of laws principles of any jurisdiction. Venue with respect to any such disputes shall be had in the state and federal courts of King County, Washington. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these Official Rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision so long as the general intent of these Official Rules remains in effect. In the event that any such provision is determined to be invalid or unenforceable, these Official Rules shall be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or unenforceable provision was not contained herein.
- Official Rules: By participating in the Contest, each Entrant fully and unconditionally agrees to and accepts these Official Rules and decisions of the Sponsor, which are final and binding in all matters relating to the Contest. The Contest will be run in accordance with the Official Rules, subject to amendment by Sponsor. Each Entrant must comply with the Official Rules and will be deemed to have received and understood the Official Rules by participating in the Contest. The terms of the Contest, as set out in the Official Rules, are not subject to amendment or counteroffer, except as set out herein. If any provisions of the Official Rules are held to be invalid or unenforceable, all remaining provisions hereof will remain in full force and effect. Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules will not constitute a waiver of that provision.
- Sponsor: The Contest is sponsored by Big History Project, LLC, 925 4th Avenue, Suite 2900, Seattle, WA 98104.
- Copy of Official Rules: Official Rules will be posted on the Website during the Entry Period.
- Winner List: The Winners List will be available on the Website for 90 days after the Winners are announced.
- Disclaimer: The Contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed, or administered by, or associated with YouTube or any other social media or video upload site.
- (a) Maximum Video Length. The optimal length for videos is 60-90 seconds. The maximum duration of a Video which is eligible for entry into the Contest is two (2) minutes. Videos with a duration of more than two (2) minutes will not be eligible to enter the Contest.
(b) Limit one Entry per Entrant during the Entry Period. Any attempts by an Entrant to submit more than one Entry into the Contest will result in such Entries being disqualified. Entrants must meet all eligibility requirements listed herein. The name provided by the Entrant will be the identity of the Entrant and, if selected and qualified for a Prize, the identity of the Winner (defined below). The use of a fake name or email address will disqualify an Entrant. Use of agencies or robotic, repetitive, programmed or similar entry methods is prohibited. All Entrants agree to abide by these Official Rules and waive any right to claim ambiguity in this Contest or these Official Rules. Entries will be acknowledged upon receipt and review by the Sponsor with a confirmation email sent to the email address provided by the Entrant in the entry form. All Entries must be completed, including creation of the Video and submission of the entry form, during the Entry Period to be eligible for the Contest.
The top three-ranked Semi-Finalist Videos, as determined by the Judges in their sole discretion, will be the Winners of the Contest, with the highest scoring Video the First Place Winner, the second highest scoring Video the Second Place Winner, and the third highest scoring Video the Third Place Winner. In the event of a tie, the Video that received the highest score in any one of the individual Judging Criteria categories will be deemed the applicable Winner. The Judges' decision for the Winners will be final, and no further correspondence will be entered into. The Winners will be announced by the Sponsor on July 23, 2015 on the Website. BHP plans to play the winning Videos on the main stage at VidCon in Anaheim, California, on July 25, 2015.