Welcome to big history!
Big History examines our past, explains our present, and imagines our future
free, open, and online
Today we have more information available to us on our phones than was available in all the great libraries of Alexandria. How do we decide what claims we can trust? Big History teaches students to examine their intuition, looking at the authority, evidence, and logic of claims across disciplines and scales. Students learn to apply a thoughtful, consistent, and rigorous approach to engaging with new ideas and information and using evidence to construct effective arguments.
Register now to explore the course.
Why Teach Big History?
Thousands of teachers are teaching Big History. Just ask them...
Students have an instinct to think deeply and feel respected when presented with deep questions. The Big History Project facilitates independent, critical cross-disciplinary thinking, which is what the real world is all about. Our active class discussions and questions reflect this. Wow!— High school teacher, Brooklyn, NY
The curriculum melds multiple disciplines together in a very approachable way, enabling students to create astounding connections and igniting exciting discussions.— High school teacher, Novi, MI
Big History's captivating narrative engages students while challenging them to ask if they have enough proof to believe the story. This translates into better writing, stronger arguments, and a more rigorous, independent approach to their studies.— High school teacher, San Pedro, CA
What is Big History?
13.8 billion years of history told through engaging videos, animations, articles, and classroom activities targeting middle- and high-school students
- Flexible and adaptable — the course can be delivered over a full year or just a semester, depending on your school's needs.
- Everything is online — materials are up to date, always available, and easy to download and print.
- Easy to customize — use teacher-generated lessons or explore and create your own using a comprehensive library of custom designed content.
- Built to hit Common Core, C3 and state standards — built from the ground up to align with the expectations of the CCSS, starting with the learning outcomes and including the assessment and lesson activities. The Big History Project emphasizes inquiry, analysis, and argument over content knowledge.
- Comprehensive professional development — online instructional guides, detailed lesson plans, training sessions, and videos—available online, anytime anywhere. Plus monthly online sessions to go deeper on core topics.
What is Big History?
David Christian explains Big History and how it fits within a long-standing human tradition of telling origin stories.
One student of Big History
Bill Gates is providing program support to the Big History Project that includes preparing it for free public access.
The Big History Project is not a for-profit program. Your engagement will exclusively benefit teachers and students around the world.
Teaching the course
It's easy to teach Big History — all you have to do is register, set up a class, and go!
Are You A Student? Join Classroom Here
Register to teach Big History
We received your registration request. A confirmation message is on the way to your inbox.
Tip: Check your junk folder if you don’t see it right away.
To activate your account, follow the link in your confirmation message.
Tip: Your login won’t be recognized until you complete this step.
From the confirmation screen, log in and explore Big History!
Have questions? Let us know. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.